Chris and I have always loved looking for houses and riding around the neighborhoods close to PH. I can remember about 6 years ago for the third straight weekend (we kept going by the practice field to see if they had started work on it) we saw the same boy and father practicing shot after shot on goal...the boy shooting and the father playing goalie the best he could. Chris knew the boy as he always makes sure he is "in the know" about the upcoming talent for PH and was excited about what the then middle schooler would mean to his program one day. I literally can remember Chris saying, "that kid is going to be something special"! Chris was very impressed about his decision to work on the nitty-gritty without anyone even knowing and about his passion to become the best he could and his desire to make sure that happened...I mean the boy was in middle school and taking his Sunday afternoons to perfect his shot when more than likely all other middle schoolers were playing soccer on the playstation. Needless to say the boy turned into something more than "special". He now holds every single school record imaginable, was the first player EVER to become the Region player of the year, and was recruited by the number one soccer college in the nation, UVA. While others thought he set his goal of playing for the number one team too high and were worried about his failure to achieve his goal, he never gave up on becoming the best he could be and worked hard to make sure his dreams came true. And his number one supporter, the person who always believed he could do anything he ever set his mind on... even when other coaches discouraged him...the one who taught him to aim high and work hard to get there...my husband!!
On graduation day Cam's parents, who set quite the example for Chris and I on how to be quiet but supportive parents, gave Chris a card and 4 blue bags with orange tissue paper sticking out. Inside each bag was a UVA shirt for each member in our family...a cute ladies cut for me, a traditional Virginia shirt for Chris, a pink UVA shirt for sissy, and a Virginia soccer shirt for Sam (the SAME EXACT ONE Chris had when he was a little boy). But even more thoughtful was a handwritten note on the family's stationary. Since we opened our gifts on the way to the beach (we left directly after graduation) I read the card out loud while Chris drove. While the contents are so special and dear to our hearts that publishing them on the internet would not due them justice I will share the one part that EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. I read it makes me cry.
"Brynn (Cam's sister), has been recently performing a song called "For Good" from the broadway musical Wicked. One line in particular always makes us think of you..."because I know you, I have been changed for good."
my husband, he's a pretty special guy, and he has been changing people for good his whole life! but I'm pretty sure along the way of getting to know Cam and all he has meant to our family...he has changed us for good. He alone has been the best example of quiet leadership, dreaming big, humble "goodness" (do you know what I mean by that?), and amazing "work rate" to our children. While the Chavira's were thanking Chris for what he has done for Cam and the example he has been to him, I find it fitting that Cam has equally been that example and role model for our children.
Do good and you will be surrounded by good!!
This soccer season was EXTREMELY difficult on me as a wife and mother. Towards the end I was hanging on by a thread. But there is something SO fulfilling in knowing you are answering God's call for your life...for your family..."for good"!
Sam and Charley held there shirts the whole way to the beach!!



No comments:
Post a Comment