Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Good with the Bad

Sam had his heart doctor appt. today and since Chris is still in exams I had to go by myself:( When we first got there the nurse came in to listen to his heart and she heard the same thing that Dr. Johnson had heard... a slight murmur:( Dr. Gay then came to listen and heard the murmur but said he thought it was a normal one but just in case we should get an ultrasound. (he also commented that Sam was the best toddler he had ever checked out!!!) So after waiting again in the waiting room, (we have now been there for a hour and half) it was time for his ultrasound. Since he had to lay as still as possible during the ultrasound I gave him his paci and blanket and with the white noise of the ultrasound machine and the dim lights, he went right to sleep, right there on the examine table. Even the ultrasound tech said she had never had such a great patient (apparently Sam is a star student in the doctors office!!! :) I knew everything wasn't exactly normal as the ultrasound tech kept taking pictures and stopped answering my questions..it turns out Sam has Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA). This is my first grader version of PDA...every baby has a duct connecting two major blood vessels, within hours of birth the duct closes completely off...Sam's did not. He has a small opening pumping a small amount of blood into the left side of his lung. After a mini-panic (of which thankfully I had only with myself in my brain) Dr. Gay asked me to wait again in the waiting room. Once we talked in his office I felt more assured. He basically said that Sam's opening is so small he is not going to worry about it. While surgery is an option, he said that the hole should never grow bigger and that it shouldn't affect him in anyway (future soccer star he still will be!!!)and we go back in one year. So while it wasn't the best outcome...if the doctor isn't worried...neither are Chris and I!
Now that the serious stuff is over let me tell what happened during the last trip to the waiting room. Before his ultrasound I went to change Sam's wet diaper only to find that in the hustle and bustle of getting everything ready this morning (paperwork included) I forgot to check to make sure I had diapers....oh which I had NONE!!!! At this point I'm not panicked as I thought we would go to the ultrasound leave right after and make it home...not the case...of course not..I'm an English, things are never that easy!!! Needless to say after the semi-"diagnosis" I completely forgot about the whole "I need a diaper immediately before a crisis happens" thing! I forgot that is, until I feel the warm sensation only a 15 and a half month toddler who is peeing in this sleep brings as it saturates the front of your new long shorts from Ann Taylor Loft (I am sure glad Amy Wolford is getting mini...my wardrobe reaps the benefit). At the same EXACT moment the doctor comes to get me to talk in his office!! THANK GOODNESS mom extinct kicked in and I grabbed his blanket and acted like it was nap time and that he needed his blanket. Throughout the meeting I had to let Sam sit on my lap the whole time thinking I have surely beat out Brittany with this latest episode. As I walked out of the office into the hot sun all I could do was laugh!
This would be where Chris adds his two cents in about how there are just some things that I shouldn't feel the need to blog about...but come on...that is so classic Emily and I'm sure it gave someone out there a much needed laugh!
Please keep Sam in your prayers as his urologist appointment is at the end of the month and they will schedule is surgery then...(aka...pray for my increasing anxiety)

On a lighter note we had a coupon to go the Avalanche game for free on Tuesday night so we meet the Jones for a little Five Guys, ice cream, and baseball action. Of course by the 4th inning Kelly and I were bored, but it turned out to be a perfectly cool night to sit outside and enjoy great friendship!!
Sam was apparently way into the game and we couldn't get him to look!!!
Kelly repping (is that how the kids spell it these days..I'm trying to stay hip) Chris's shades!! Yes Chris wears those big sunglasses and NO he is not joking!!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails