Emily: I love spring, the smells, the sounds, the feeling in the air...you know what it reminds me of?
Chris: SOCCER!!!!!
Emily: CHRIS...NO....when we first started dating!!!!
Chris: I was getting ready to say that!
Today marks the 7 anniversary of our first date and in honor of my wonderful husband I will post my version of how it all went down (the funny, entertaining, true version)!!!!
Chris and I met in middle school and all through high school we ran around in the same crowd. (now the high school story in itself is quite long, so due to time restraints I will skip to how the first date came about!) Chris had asked me out on several dates but due to prior circumstances I had always told him no. Fast forward to early April...2001. Chris's college friends desperately wanted him to attend the school's Spring Formal, if they had to be drug to it by their girlfriends they wanted reinforcement. Now Chris doesn't typically pass on a night full of dancing but for some reason he did NOT want to go to this dance. His guy friends kept nagging him to just ask at least one girl, so he made them a deal...."If I ask this one girl (he was talking with friends via IM) and she says no, will you get off my back about going to the formal" Needless to say his friends agreed and Chris thought he was being extra sneeky by asking the girl who repeatedly told him it was against the rules to date in the first place. So...Chris asks me over IM if I was free to go with him to his Spring Formal. I can vividly remember the night...Cam and I were in our dueling computer chairs talking with friends when I looked over at her and said..."why not". I wrote Chris back and said I would love to....after the guys crowded around Chris's computer stopped yelling and giving him a hard time (now remember...Chris did not want to go to this dance and was banking on me saying no) we worked out the details and talked on the computer into the night (I still have the whole conversation printed out)! We talked everyday for the next 2 weeks and as they say...the rest is history. Our first official date was to Carson Newman's spring formal! Nobody could get over how comfortable we were with each other and how at ease we were on our first date. What they didn't realize was how much we knew about each other already! When we told people who had known us for forever that we were dating it was more of a "about time" than a "really?"! God had known the whole time what a perfect story He was laying out, and He had been busy preparing us individually in our walk with Him before He was ready to give us each other. Good thing we were patient!!!
Now this is where Chris and I have different perceptions of how the rest of the night went. In my mind it went like this....As we arrive at the dance we find lots of people crowded around an empty dance floor (think...Footloose). Chris runs on the dance floor...strikes a pose...and yells out..."Let's get this party started!!!" Now, I as a date I had two choices 1. Leave him hanging out there by himself giving a solo performance of Thriller or 2. run out, strike a pose and "get the party started"...no brainer...and we danced the night away! Now I would like to say we were not one of those couples who made you stick your finger down throat and gag but the truth is...we were pathetically in love from the first minute and we didn't hold back letting others know!! Every year I read the card Chris gave me that spring formal ...it still rests in my bible I got new from my mom that same weekend...and every year I giggle like a school girl...then I pray and thank my God for giving me such a God-seeking, wonderful husband!
The infamous Spring Formal (yes, Chris lost a bet and had to bleach his hair)
Chris literally wrote me an invitation to ask me to go to my first sunrise and hand delivered it to my bible study I was leading with senior high-girls...now tell me they listened to anything I had to say after that!!! (this would be part of the gagging state we are still in!!! )
This is on our first month dating anniversary. We were supposed to have a romantic dinner and date but of course the church softball team called and if he didn't come they would have to forfeit...hence the Emily jersey with our anniversary date on the back! (all Chris's idea)
our first beach trip!!!
(who's glad Chris's hair finally grew out...it's me...it's me!!!)

1 comment:
Yes we were in our dueling desk chairs -- your were probably talking to friends as you recall but I'm pretty sure I was playing SNOOD....and I believe the line Chris fed you was "Dang it Emily, I love you!" :)
Cam
Post a Comment