It's 11:00, I JUST put Sam down to sleep after JUST getting back from Chris's soccer game. I came on to blog just two little jokes my first graders told me today but as I signed on, Chris and I's post-game tradition started and I just couldn't stop thinking about my AMAZING husband! As I began to write, Chris turned on the TV to Fox Soccer Channel (yes there is such a thing, and yes we have it), brought his little black camera bag down to the den, hooked it up to the TV, opened up his scorebook... and that's when I knew what the next hour would hold for me. I would dilengently listen to "his version" of the game, watch and rewatch...and rewatch all the highlights, and my favorite part... I get to listen to Chris get so excited talking about his players and how proud he is of "his" guys! He LOVES this job, and that makes me happy. I love watching him get to do something he gets so much out of...this is his ministry, and I am proud of what he does for these great guys! As Chris likes to say, "It's about so much more than soccer!" He is so right. He is teaching these guys to become great men in what they say, what they do, and what they become! For those of you that don't know, Chris runs a pretty tight ship. He sets high expectations for his guys and leads by example. Right now as we are watching the tape you can over hear the JV guys who are filming (they have no idea that Chris and I listen with the sound on, because when they watch in the classroom they mute it) ask the opposing team JV players who are sitting beside them to watch their mouths...not once but twice! Apparently after the second time the opposing players left and you can hear one of the PH guys say, "They aren't from PH, they just don't get it". Now I know what you might be thinking, if Chris made me run 1 mile for every letter in the cuss word (ps he not only makes just the person run, but the whole team run) I wouldn't cuss either. Needless to say, it only happened once in his 4 years coaching, the first day of practice, his first year...these guys are learning and practicing respect...and those are what we like to call "life lessons"! In the end, these guys want to be better soccer players, better sons, better students, and better people in life and the fact that my husband had a litle bit to do with that makes all the long and lonely nights worth it all. So while I joke about being a "soccer widow", and complain about watching the game on my own TV two hours after I just watched it live, my husband is making a difference, he has a ministry...and I think I can make that trade off! This is my prayer tonight...I pray that the Lord blesses Sam with a coach like his daddy and friends like the boys of the PH soccer team!

I did not intend to make this such a long and sappy post...sorry...but this is what was on my mind, and that's what blogging is all about!
No comments:
Post a Comment