my Sam, my little 3 (almost 4) year old Sam is reading level A books! He is actually reading books by himself! I would be lying to you if I didn't shed a tear! You see... where Chris has the goal scoring, the basket making, the touch down catching, golf swinging "firsts"...the books...the reading...they are all mine!!! :) I debated for awhile whether to start Sam but he was giving me all the signs (knew all his letters and sounds, "pretend reading", showing interest) so I started him on level A books about a month ago and he has enjoyed it! Sometimes he shows a lot of interest and other days he doesn't so I just read to him! He has mastered several books, all of course Aunt Amy and Uncle Greg have had the pleasure of hearing thanks to Skype! I love when he reads to them how he shows them the pictures after he reads!
Here are some of his first books...
They have very simple, predictable text with a lot of picture support. He mainly "memory reads" but shows a lot of progress in his "concept of word" and has even started to use reading strategies to decode unfamiliar words (like looking at the beginning letter to help him figure out what the word might be!) He is def. an emergent reader and I am happy he is showing interest and progressing so well!
Way to go Sam!! We are proud of you!

1 comment:
I am SO SO SO proud of you, Sam!!!! Way to go! I can't wait for Riley to enter that stage! So much fun!
Post a Comment