Last week Dylan (our nephew) turned 11 years old!!! HOW IN THE WORLD??? I know I've told you guys (you guys being the world wide web) this story before but here it goes again anyway: I was a senior in high school sitting in my AP Biology class when the overhead speaker came on and told me I was dismissed from school...and I knew it!!! I knew that Laura was in labor and mom was picking me up from school to rush down to Charleston SC to hopefully make it before Dylan's debut!! We were SO excited! We hurried down 220 to pick up Amy Jo and down through NC to meet our first nephew/grandson! Enter the biggest snow storm NC had seen in MANY years! Enter the MAIN highway being CLOSED (i.e. nothing was going nor coming) Enter Mom, Amy Jo, and I having to spend the night at the truck stop only to wake up the next day and drive home because the further down in NC you went the worse the roads got! Enter tears...the many, MANY tears from us all when we finally got through on the truck stop pay phone with Laura who was holding little baby boy! Tears of joy for Laura...tears of sadness that we had missed it and Laura wasn't surrounded by her family to love up on her!!! Even though we were very sad that night the truckers sure treated us right! They let us borrow blankets (we had to sleep in the MaJo van), they explained to mom when to run the van and when to shut it off (in order to keep us warm but not enough for the fumes to harm us!), they filled the van up for us, a trucker named Bubba even helped me study biology in one of the truck-stop booths (true story). It was def. a night to remember! Poor Dylan has to hear the same ol story EVERY birthday (much like the readers of this here blog :) )! Now that is he old and wise at 11 he is all " I know, I know, because of me you had to spend the night in a truck stop...yada, yada, yada" Apparently our story gets a little old after the 11th time of telling it! Hate to tell you Dylan but Amy Jo and I VOW to retell the story EVERY birthday...because to us...it never gets old!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!!!
This year we celebrated at Olive Garden! Might I add it's a step up from the truck stop food I ate 11 years ago!!
Laura got BubbleCake cupcakes for us....HAVE MERCY!!!
Dylan was sweet enough to let Sam help blow his candles out!!!
First Week of School
11 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment