Wednesday, August 6, 2008

ol to be a part of an English beach trip!!!

It's that time of year again...BACK TO SCHOOL:( I'm busy getting my classroom complete and bugging the kindergarten teachers to tell me who on my class roster may need to "sit near me", if you know what I mean! Don't get me wrong, I love the fresh feeling a new school year brings, but lets face it people...I have to leave one flat out adorable cute kid who I've been ca-noddle-ing (Yes I just made that up) with all summer!!! But this week I found not 1 but 2 reasons to smile:



1. During our AWESOME beach week while laying in our chairs basking in the sun, Cam and I got into numerous conversations about our beach trips growing up. Let me give you the short version of a Jo and Pee-Wee beach trip. Most families leave "early" for the beach...MaJo gives early a new definition....we would pack up the night before...the kids would SLEEP in the MaJo van (which was literally packed to the HILT...I mean come on Jo...it was a CONVERSION van...no reason the cooler needed to be directly at my feet and that stupid purple umbrella in my face) Mom would get up say...3ish...hop in the van (kids still asleep), and out we rolled. On the way down Mom would ask Dad to stop at EVERY fruit stand, (really Mom WHERE were we going to put a 5 lb watermelon) Dad made his classic joke, "Jo, I'll slow down to about 10 MPH, open up the door, let you roll out, pick you up on the way back!! That was our "going to the beach joke" until Jen made the cut for the annual vacation, in which, every time we hit water on the way to the beach (lake, canal, sound) the smell of coconut oil could be smelled by all...Jen was slapping on SPF 5,000 declaring from the back seat that black people do indeed get sunburned and she was NOT getting any darker...I just didn't have the heart to tell her that we still had 2 more hours until we hit the beach traffic! OK I'm getting carried away here, I forgot I was doing the short version...Mom hit the beach every morning by 7, claimed our section thanks to the hideous purple umbrella, we laid out till 4, went in for lunch, each family got to choose their place to eat dinner, all the beach basics (go cards, mini-golf, cruising the "pier", arcade games, flea-markets (Jo INSISTED they WERE cool),and ice-cream) and always hit the pool (we had cheerleading stunts in the pool down to an art form!!!) THEREFOR imagine my utter DISBELIEVE when Cam admitted that her family spent HOURS...HOURS actually in the...brace yourself....OCEAN!!!!! Yes I'm talking the same ocean that Dad spotted SHARKS in EVERY year!!! I mean when Amy was trying to pick up the younger 7th grade boys (She was totally in the 8th grade, ALWAYS knew she liked younger men) who stayed in the hotel next to us we MAYBE went out on a raft! But get this... the Adams actually HANG OUT in there and like jump into waves or something absolutely absurd like that!!! AND IT GETS BETTER....the Adams just so happen to be at the beach this week, so imagine my PURE EXCITEMENT when I opened this email:


That's right internets...the whole fam (minus Nathan...he and his wife just had a baby so they are excused) IN THE WATER....I'm talking without a raft, ALL limbs exposed!!!! I knew I loved the Adams...those RISK TAKERS, I'm pretty sure they just moved up NOTCHES in the cool family awards!!!!
So I was going to have the number 2 reason but that must wait until tom!!! Enough rambling already!! and remember...next time you need a little courage...Just think of... "The Adam's family... 'snap', 'snap')"...(sorry Cam...I tried not to sing the shows jingle but I couldn't help myself, it just added to the smile of you guys "family bonding" techniques!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a few comments on this one :)

Just for the record, I was totally being your wingman and "pretending" to like Matt (the younger man) b/c you liked his cousin. i can't remember if this was pre or post surfer boy shawn.

and for dad's yearly quote to mom about the fruit stand, you must read that with the accent of "does that thang ever see sand" - and you have nailed that quote on the head! haha!

As for the Adams family... What? People actually get in the ocean...huh, who knew? You better tell them to get their cute little fannies back on the beach before they lose a limb!

Anonymous said...

I loved the post!...as for Amy's comment about losing limbs, we did see a three foot shark in the water this week. Have no fear though it hasn't stopped the Adams fam! Back to the water I go.

Related Posts with Thumbnails