to let go. My mind is my greatest enemy. I spend way too much time picturing how perfect things should be and not enough time rolling with the punches! Many times I have unrealistic expectations for my kids and then I'm disappointed when my lofty expectations aren't met. The truth is this...I have good kids...my kids aren't perfect but they are good kids. So in public when their behavior is not perfect my anxiety goes through the roof because some how in my crazy mind I want perfect strangers to know how good my kids truly are. I am aware of how crazy my mind works! HA! A perfect example is a couple of weekends ago when our small group went to the Homeplace for dinner. While the Homeplace is my all time favorite place to eat it's not what we like to call "kid friendly". By the end of the meal I was done...you moms out there know exactly what I'm talking about! Stick a fork in the pintos...I was DONE! Chris went to pay and it was taking an extremely long time. All I wanted was one good picture of the two kids together...just one, little, measly picture! We all know how those expectations end up! Charley was throwing multiple fits, Sam was running around all over the place then ended up tripping and skinning his knees, Chris finally came to the rescue and to take a family picture of the 4 of us when Charley decided she would throw her 5th tantrum of the day. It was just one of those days...it just so happened to be in front of friends and I was embarrassed. By the time I got home I realized how unrealistic my expectations were and I apologized for my poor attitude! The moral of the story is this: I'm slowing learning to let it go. Things are not going to always go perfect, especially with a 2 and a 4 year old and it doesn't make me a bad mom!
Here are pics from our day:
and to this I say...at least sissy looked cute...because she def. didn't act it!








2 comments:
Your kids were absolutely perfect at the Homeplace and everywhere else I've ever seen them!! I have never once since Sam was born seen them NOT behave. You are a terrific mom!! Glad you are learning to let go of some of that anxiety! Although, I feel the exact same way with my kids. Good post, Em!
I think your kids are perfect, and that you are super mom...but you already know what I think :)
Post a Comment