
Yes Chris and I were super excited when we saw the previews to "Blindside"! We both are suckers for good sports movie and lets be honest...has Sandra Bullock ever made a bad movie?? Going into it we knew we would be reminded of our journey with our "Nonnie", but I surely didn't expect to be crying 10 minutes into it! Of course we didn't physically bring Nonnie into our home but we most certainly brought him into our family!! Chris took him home from every practice and game (a lot of times this included dinner!), Chris made sure he was taking the right classes (and performing well in those classes), Chris helped him sign up for the SAT's, our whole family took him on all of his "college visits" (that's how Fayanga got his nickname Nonnie from Sam...when we ride for 4 hours straight beside a 2 year old...you're bound to get a nickname that a 2 year old can actually pronounce!), helped him sign up for summer school, the whole family took him to the all-star game in VA Beach (he even asked Chris and Sam to walk him out as his "guests"at the beginning of the game), we helped him prepare for college and even got to move him in....and the process of getting him cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse was literally a month long process that included HOURS AND HOURS of talking on the phone and not one but two appeals! I do not tell you all these things to brag on what Chris did for Fayanga or for him to receive any praise, but to better explain why Chris put forth all this effort....Fayanga is a special guy, with motivation to succeed and an extra large heart (but then again my hubby does has a knack for doing what is good...and what is right! When Fayanga came to America as a freshman he had two choices 1.) live a life full of bitterness or 2.) change his course...Nonnie most certainly changed his course...especially if by changing your course you mean being named the Timesland Player of the year and All-State for two years, break every single school record, graduate high school, and play for a Division 1 UNIVERSITY!!! ...forgive me...I'm very proud of him...and I like to brag on him, because well, he is our Nonnie!!!:)
Given the fact this week is Thanksgiving I would usually write my "thankful post"! Here is my Thankful post...Nonnie style!!!
-I am thankful for Nonnie's family who got him here to Roanoke safely. For providing a roof for him to sleep under and food to eat. For trusting Chris to look out for Fayanga and his future. For celebrating his victories and for swelling up with pride over his accomplishments.
-I am thankful for my husband. For seeing an opportunity to "change a course" and stepping up to the plate. For inspiring, believing, and not giving up. For opening doors when MANY doors closed! For being the role model! For getting Nonnie ( and many teenage boys) to think, dare I say believe in something that is not revolved around electronics or themselves...(you heard correct...I said teenage boys...and it happens every year...it's kind of a miracle).
-I am thankful for Fayanga. For overcoming hardships, for believing in himself, for wanting something more! For calling our house first thing after a game to give Chris the minute by minute break down and for making our house the last place he stops by before heading back to school every time (maybe that has to do with Sam always getting Nonnie "treats" but shouldn't every college freshman get PEZ for Halloween...Sam seems to think so!). For allowing me to yell for you really, really loud, even though I happen to say your very African name in the strongest SW VA accent! For enduring our long lectures about right choices. (oh yes ma'am I may have added my two cents a time or two...or a dozen.) And last but not least...For being an example of leadership, hard word, and perseverance for his team mates, peers, and my son.
To be honest we didn't do anything we wouldn't have done for Sam or Charley. We saw a need, a very deserving need, and did our best to help out..not to go all "let's hold hands and sing cum-by-ya on y'all"...but just think if we all invested some time to "change a course" I dare say your course might just get altered along the way! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment