Sunday, August 30, 2009

We ARE...

Marshall!!!!!
That's right folks...we just got home from our first experience "moving in" a child to college!!!
Fayanga (otherwise known as "nonnie") has been practicing with the team but we were waiting until he got cleared from the NCAA clearinghouse to move all his stuff in!! We were so excited when we got the "all clear" call!!! Chris has literally spent HOURS making this happen...(just in case you were wondering...my husband...He's a good, good man!!!!)
Here we are on the traditional "Walmart run"! Nonnie was glad to have the cute little helper in the cart!!!
Here is Fayanga giving us the tour!!



After he showed us this, Chris said, "this is from the movie...you remember the movie right?" Fayanga replied in his most innocent tone, "that was a true story??? NO way" ...(he has been there a week already, how did he NOT know the movie was true)...I laughed and I laughed and I laughed because I'll tell you something...I love this kid and ALL of his innocence!


Sam: (in my mind this is what Sam was saying) "So pops, this is where Pennington won the championship??? Can I wear my Pennington jersey to bed???"

Sam was a little afraid atop "the thundering herd"!!!

Sam: (once again this is all in my head) "I've gotta find me one of these....Go skins!!!!" (This is their tribute to all of their NFL players!!)

Fayanga was so excited to show Sam this stuffed buffalo...Once again I love this kid...he makes me smile, and he's quite the tour guide!!!

Ed, I took this for you!!! :)
The best part about these pics is that I was trying SO hard not to be the annoying mom with the camera but RIGHT after I asked Fayanga to take the very first pic a group of his "soccer buddies" drove right by us and honked their horn and yelled out the window"...so much for being discrete!!! :)
We got to move things in, take a tour, eat lunch, watch Nonnie practice, and meet his coaches and players (they like Nonnie just as much as we do because he has only played in one preseason game and he scored and assisted...they like him bunches!!), and last but not least we gave him our last of many "lectures", hugged him, and got in the car! (FTR...I might have shed a tear or two)
Our kids were SO good considering we left at 6:45 in the morning...got back at 9:00 at night...and spent over 7 hours on the road! It was all worth it to help our buddy Nonnie!
Fayanga you are a special kinda guy...we are PROUD of you!!! (you know my cutie patootie husband...he's a special kinda guy too...and I'm proud of him :):))
Who would have thought 3 and half years ago that the shy African refugee who walked into Chris's freshman gym class would not only become a high school graduate, but would be playing soccer for a DIVISION 1 UNIVERSITY!!!!
Thanks to all who helped our Nonnie!!!! :):)

3 comments:

amy said...

Wow! What a blessing you and your husband were for these young fellow! The Lord will surely bless you girl!

Keeping up with the Jones said...

Awww,...I got teary-eyed! Yall are so special to him and you have no idea what a huge impact yall are on him.

Brynn said...

bah im so proud of fayanga!!! i want to cry haha

Related Posts with Thumbnails