Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sam's First Day of Kindergarten!!




 (it's hard to read but Sam wants to be a professional golfer....next year we will use black...live and learn...:))
I mean really...look how cute he signs his name!  





Sam had a great first day of kindergarten!  At orientation he met some friends that will be in his soccer league and his class so he was excited about that! Sam is pretty laid back with transition so we knew he would be his quiet, "take everything in", Sam!  It also happen to be my first day of school so I wasn't able to watch him into his classroom or "see him off"!  We are however fortunate that Chris and Sam have some quality time every morning and that Chris can walk him into school everyday!  On the first day they decided to go to Chick-fil-a!  When they got to school Chris walked Sam to his teacher who was waiting for all her students and gave him a hug...Sam was his usual "Serious Sam" but no tears!  He liked getting to give his teachers flowers because "she really liked them"!  Sam's favorite part of his first day was recess and that he had "almost the exact same lunch" as one of his soccer buddies!  I asked if he talked to his teacher and he said only to ask her to open his chips!  After school (after some minor bus setbacks...he had a sub bus driver on his first day that made him 30 min. late) I picked him up from after school and he wouldn't let go of me for at least 10 minutes...he just held both of my hands...I think he missed his momma and boy oh boy did his momma miss him!  We had a good talk about his first day and I got a lot details slowly but surely!  When Dad got home we headed over to Red Robin to celebrate!

My favorite funny from the day:  I had laid everything out for Sam!  I got to wake him up and talk with him but then I had to leave so Chris was in charge!  I'm a control freak so "letting go" of first day tasks such as picture taking, making sure he had everything, and breakfast was EXTREMELY hard for me!  I even put his sticker he had to wear on his shirt the night before and walked Chris through every last detail!  When Chris called to tell me how drop off went he said, "I might have made one boo-boo"...I let Sam take a soccer ball with him.  I got nervous he was going to get in trouble so I asked his teacher and she politely told me that toys were not allowed from home!"!   Apparently Chris took a soccer ball with him everyday of elementary school and Sam was eager to follow in his footsteps!  I just started cracking up laughing...only my husband would think that bringing a soccer ball to school was an awesome idea!  Sam was pretty excited that his teacher told him he could bring it with him on "S" day!

Now here's the part I know you're curious about!  How did "us parents" hold up!  To be honest it really is a weird sensation to send your baby to K!  Even writing the post was a little strange...I didn't know where to start or how to "give the story" so it's pretty fragmented!  Chris and I both talked several times about how for us it wasn't so much the "I can't believe he's old enough to go to Kindergarten", we are both pretty good with "moving on and growing up" transitions.  For us it was the reflection and focus on Sam and just how awesome he is, and how blessed we are!  It was the "we have the coolest kid in the world" and we don't want school to change that, that "got" us!  It was the "he really is the funniest, most laid-back, sweet, kind, 5 year old in the world!  Have you met my Sam?  He really is as awesome as we make him out to be!  So for us it wasn't so much the Kindergarten thing that got us...it was the...we are so blessed by knowing our Sam that got us!  My moment hit on Sat. night when we were reading books in bed (about kindergarten) just Mommy, Daddy, and Sam!  He was asking the sweetest questions and then admitted to being slightly nervous...it was just so Sam!  I held it together until after we laid him down but then Chris and I had the best conversation about how we knew he was going to rock it because he's our Sam and he's amazing...that's when the lump in the throat hit hard!  Chris got teary eyed when Sam called him into his room after we laid him down on Sunday night.  We could tell Sam was nervous so Chris talked with him again about how he was nervous too, and that is was ok to be nervous and that all he had to do was just be the same awesome Sam he's always been and that he was going to do great!  Chris came downstairs fighting back tears!  We have an awesome kid, first day of kindergarten was simply a reminder of how blessed we are!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily, that post made me cry! I know I'll be a mess when Wes goes to school! I am sure Sam is one of the teacher's favorites!

love,
Abby

Keeping up with the Jones said...

I may have almost shed a tear! How blessed we all are to have Sam in our lives! Thinking and praying for you guys this week.

lindsey said...

Oh goodness! Definitely made me cry...not that it takes much these days! So crazy, it goes so fast! Way to go, Sam!! Thankful he had a great first day:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails