Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Working Mom's Perspective...

I made Chris watch "I Don't Know How She Does It" this week.  I figured as a working mom myself I had the luxury of making him suffer through it!  It was a cute movie that surely any "working mom" can relate to!  Let me start off by saying that I by NO means have it "figured out"!  I spent A LOT of time (and a lot of anxiety) wishing/hoping/praying that I could stay at home with my kids.  There was even a period of time where if you happen to be a stay at home yourself, you would not have wanted to admit that to me because I would have snarled my lip at you because I coveted your day to day life just that much.  It makes my heart so happy to know that while I don't have it figured out I am on the other side of that valley, and I have embraced the fact that God's plan for me is to be a working mom...to not only show Sam and Charley God's love but to pour it out on my first graders too!

and because I also believe that "us working moms" need to stick together instead of spending what little precious time we do have judging, I thought I would share a list of things that work for me and my family!

-Can I get a witness for the value of ROUTINE!  Every night I set out Sam and Charley's clothes down to socks and shoes.  I also set out my clothes.  I'm not a morning person AT ALL so any help preparing the night before works for us!  Here is where I'm a spoiled working mom brat...there I admit it!  Because since I have to be at work well ahead of Chris he gets the kids dressed and in the car all by himself!  I usually wake them up right before I leave because Sam will FREAK OUT if he hears the door shut from his bed and he hasn't gotten to see me....and yes that makes my heart happy and break all at the same time!  Chris is a ROCK STAR DAD and I don't know of too many dads who do most of the morning duties all on their own!

-Take time to regroup.  I'm not afraid to admit that most days I pick the kids up head back to the house, get them a snack and let them watch something for a little while.  I have been working with kids all day and I just need a couple minutes to relax and do nothing.  I usually just sit and hold them and rest.  It makes me a better mom to give myself that time!

-I am proud to admit that we have only eaten out for dinner twice since Dec. 30.  That is some sort of Dowdy record for sure!  HA!  I would like to give all the credit to my new monthly planner from Erin Condren.  I HEART this planner.   It has stickers and I can color code and it makes my OCD heart happy!

-I will never be the best mom and the best teacher all in one day.  What I do try to do is balance the two the best I can.  I try to leave everyday right when I can.  In order to make this happen I work my rear-end off during my planning period.  I can "power work" with the best of them.  I also try, if at all possible to schedule meetings and conferences during my planning.  I used to feel bad "clocking out" right on time and yes I still get several, "how do you leave right at 2:50 everyday, must be nice" (in other words, you must be a slacker teacher ) looks.  But I realize that maximizing my family time in the evenings does in fact not make me resent my job as much and in return makes me a better teacher.  I also try to show "school spirit" by attending as many school related things as I can that involve my kids.  For instance I'll go to our school's "skate night" or frequently I get my students sports schedules and attend one of their games, kids in tow.  (I have even sat through one excruciating hour of clogging practice)   I am also VERY lucky to work with such a family-friendly administration.  Sam is allowed to come to special days at school with me, for instance my Christmas party or "Polar Express Day".  He LOVES coming to my school and he blends right in with my first graders so its a win/win!

-Let me start this one out by saying that my house is rarely clean/clean but it is mostly always "picked up".  The kids help me pick up their toys each day and both of them know where each toy goes in the play room.  In fact they probably know better than Chris does! Ha!  For the most part Chris and I clean together but each have our "areas" that we are in charge of.  For instance, I'm the laundry lady.  I do one mid-week load and and average of 3 loads in the weekend and I can 99 percent stamp that on Sunday evening all of our clothes are washed and put away.  It's my one thing that I can control and my type A kicks in big time!  Here are my time savers...some of you might cringe....I wash all clothes together...I dry everything!  When I go to fold, I fold in our bedroom.  I put our clothes away as I fold them and make stacks for the kids clothes.  Once I'm done with all the loads I put the kids clothes away.   My other secret is that I taught Sam (who really likes it) to change the clothes over...he can put wet clothes in the dryer, add a dryer sheet, clean the vent, and start it!  That's my boy!

-If my kids are sick...I don't feel bad taking off!  Before kids I took 3 sick days over 3 years.  Now I use them all!  It's part of the working mom territory and I take off guilt free!

-Your kids will love you...you are their mom...no one replaces you!  You are showing them how much they are loved by providing for them, showing them responsibility, and giving them a practical example of working hard.


Here is my advice to stay at home moms from a working moms perspective (once again I'm not judging I'm trying to help):  Us working moms don't hate you, we want to be you.  But try to be considerate about how much you "complain about the kids" or the boredom or how much you enjoyed your "playdate".  We know you have a hard job, and yes we know that your kids more than likely get on your nerves at least once a day...but we would literally pay good money for our kids to get on our nerves and for us to take our kids to story time at the library.  You get an opportunity to share in your children's lives in a way we will never get to.  So by all means complain, you have a right too, your job is hard...but complain to other stay at home moms, because more than likely we will only tell you to be thankful for the chance to be with your kids!

The key to being a working mom is to find what works for your family, not to focus on the things you're missing but to concentrate on making the time you do have with your kids memorable, and to find joy in knowing you are following a unique and special calling in life...because us working moms...we do it all...just ask Sarah Jessica!

(I know Wayne, two long post without pictures...I'll try and do better! HA!)

3 comments:

April and Brad said...

AMEN sista!!! :)

Keeping up with the Jones said...

Thanks Momma! This working mom starting a new job in a different direction SO needed to read that post! You are one awesome working Mom!

Randy and Lindsay said...

I agree 100% with this post!!! Thanks Emily!!!!!!! Us working moms do have to stick together!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails