I'm always here to make you feel better!
Oh my have I had a day in first grade!
It all started when I totally forgot about the twins birthday celebration (yes, I have a set of twins in my class...boy and girl..and they are precious)! Now don't get me wrong...I love a good party! But cupcakes and 6 year olds just don't mix, and since their twins and we want them to have some sort of individuality, the boy twin made chocolate cupcakes and the girl twin made strawberry cupcakes...if you thought one cupcake didn't mix well with 6 year olds you should try giving them 2! Due to the fact I am in the middle of mid year testing I hung the sweet little innocent cupcakes over their sweet little innocent heads and told them we would eat and sing our birthday songs (yes, there are multiple birthday songs in Mrs. Dowdy's class!) at the end of the day! That's when the first "icky" happened...I got a call from the nurse asking to see one of my sweet little boys, I'm very familiar with what was happening. You go to see the nurse when you think you are sick, if the nurse wants to see you, it means only ONE THING....lice! Sure enough she comes back to the room gloves in one hand, "picking through your hair sticks" (official term I'm sure) in the other. I volunteer to go first, because I don't know if I've told you...but...THERE IS ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NO PERSONAL SPACE IN FIRST GRADE!!!! I'm clean, whew, boy that sits beside lice boy, not so lucky... now I'm down to 14 kids. We go to lunch...K. tells me she doesn't feel well, I send her to the nurse...no temperature...she comes back to lunch...seconds later she vomits ALL OVER birthday girl and her new birthday outfit and her NEW SUEDE birthday shoes! T. watches the whole thing from across the lunchroom table...T. starts to gag...T. throws up too...I'm now down to 12...minus a birthday girl who can't even stay for her birthday cupcakes because of the shower she now needs due to excessive amount of throw up on her new birthday ensemble. We get through recess and art...no drama...get back to the room...I start to smell something:( ohh yes, one of the remaining boys poops his pants...(again)...send him IMMEDIATELY to the nurse...new total...11 kids remaining. To make matters worse, today we received news of the budget cuts in our school district. 81 positions cut, 8 percent increase in the amount we pay for insurance, bigger class sizes, less pullouts. Needless to say...us teachers were NOT happy!
This is one of those days where all you can do is sit and think of all your blessings! Even through the lice, and throw up, and poopy pants...I'm a lucky girl, with lots to be thankful for! One of them being the multiple cupcakes Charley and I shared due to the fact that when we finally got to our birthday celebration my class was almost cut in half...and I just CAN NOT send a cupcake container back half full...we had to demolish them...besides...we had DEFINITELY EARNED IT!!!!
Now see...Don't you feel better...You could have been Mrs. Dowdy for the day!
First Week of School
11 years ago

5 comments:
Hahaha! You made me laugh out loud! Marley and Me soon?
LOL!!! Too funny..I can just picture it! After reading this, I said a little prayer for your house to sell <3 ya!
yikes! what a day! at least you were able to end on a sweet note:) by the way, i love the name y'all picked out:) charly dowdy-too cute!!
oh, emily! that WAS a day. phew. glad you survived it !! praying for your little gal on the way! love the name :)
OMG! So sorry it was so dramatic! At least you and Charley got some cupcakes!! :)
Post a Comment