Weeks ago I had the pleasure of attending a retirement party for Betty, a WONDERFUL kindergarten teacher who was so sweet to me as I started out and has such a big heart! In fact she is so great we nicknamed her "Martha Villa" because she is the perfect mash-up (please note use of Glee terminology)of Martha Stewart and Bob Villa! She also is a talented seamstress and knited THE.MOST.ADORABLE. baby blankets for both Sam and Charley and when I opened the box, sat neatly beside my door one morning early on in my pregnancy with my first sweet baby and pulled out the perfectly knitted yellow blanket I not only started crying but I carried that blanket around with me the whole morning while I taught!!! To make a long story short Betty is just great and I was so excited to be celebrating with her on such a great occasion! Because my coworkers know I can't cook I opted to bring the cake to the party! On the day of the party I rushed out of school, picked up the cake, set it in the car, quickly picked up the kids, and dropped by the house to the get the diaper bag to take the kids to Laura's house. Because it was SO hot and I needed my keys to get into the house I rolled down the windows so the cake wouldn't melt...you can see where this is going! I let Elli out to use the bathroom and ran to get the diaper bag and that's when my light bulb went off...not Elli outside....not my dog who somehow knows how to jump THROUGH car windows...I raced outside and saw her little tail sticking out the window! I was so mad...I rush to open the door, get Elli out of the car and into the house and survey the damage...luckily the cake was in a cardboard box and she just stepped on the top of the box but I was still SO embarrased to show up at the party, late, with a messed up cake! Oh Elli, if you weren't so good with the kids and they didn't absolutely LOVE you, we would all be singing, "Old McDonald had a farm, and on his farm he had an Elli dog"!!
Thankfully, as I knew they would, my friends laughed at the "only Emily" story!!
Congrats Betty, you will be greatly missed!!! (I wish I had a picture of Betty but I was too ruffled telling the story over and over!!!)



No comments:
Post a Comment