Thursday, March 15, 2012

Please call me coach Dowdy...

The night before the annual preseason trip Chris got a call that one of his assistant coaches had a family emergency and would not be able to go on the trip to Myrtle Beach the next day.   Normally this wouldn't be a big deal but all the coaches were driving large vehicles full of teenage boys instead of getting a bus so Chris needed an extra person to drive.  He only had to slightly twist my arm before I piped in, "Well I do have one mandatory request...the guys must call me Coach Dowdy"!  HA!  Luckily they had one more extra spot that had Sam's name ALL OVER IT!   So Sam and I, and 4 other smelly soccer players loaded up in the car and headed down to Myrtle Beach!   I kept apologizing to the guys for having to watch Cars and Cars 2 during the car ride until I finally realized that they actually liked watching them!  Apparently it's not cool to take a date in high school to Cars 2 but if your riding 5 hours with a 4 year old...it's totally acceptable!  The guys in my car were totally adorable and we even called the poor soul in the very back with Sam who kept having to open Sam's juices and get out his games from his book bag, "Sam's Nanny"!   I rewarded them by giving them first dibs on hot of the oven chocolate chip cookies...it was a win/win for all!  (by the way...no one wanted to admit it out loud but we were totally the cool car...even if I made them listen to some classic 80's...ha!) 

I don't know how my husband does it but he got an amazing deal on a huge oceanfront house...game room and all!  It was the perfect set-up with one huge master suite on the first level (I didn't even have to sleep on the same floor with smelly teenage boys...which was one of my requirements before I said I would go)!  I dropped the boys at practice everyday then I explored the city!  One day I got to go to the outlets completely by myself for 2 whole hours!  I was GIDDY with excitement!  I felt like telling complete strangers to "meet me up top" because I was shopping, at an outlet, kid-free...can I get a witness!  The next day I took Sam to the aquarium for a little one-on-one trip before he turned 5!  I forgot how easy things are with only 1 kid, especially when that one kid is your easy one!  One night the boys played basketball and I had the entire house to myself!  I spread out all my scrapbook mess, turned on TLC Say Yes To the Dress, and went to town!  It was AMAZING!  I must have cranked out 8 pages... and shed a couple tears...how does that show make me cry?  We also all went golfing (quite the outing with 25 high school boys!)  The best part was that Chris made the boys be in charge of the cooking and cleaning, so besides setting up and shopping for lunch each day (they were at practice) I had myself quite the little "me weekend"!  

Can you spy my little Sam?  He is such a "part" of the team!  The guys all love him.  We would lose him to the game room for hours and the boys all took turns playing the games with him!  He knows most of their names and numbers...he truly is their little mascot!  p.s.  Sam enjoyed being an only child for the long weekend...and I enjoyed taking a break from constant discipline :))  Don't worry Charley had the time of her life being spoiled by her grandparents!  Thanks Gee-Jo and Nana for stepping up last minute!

Nothing says team bonding like carrying your teammates into the FREEZING cold water...right?  I thoroughly enjoyed watching "beach conditioning"!  Chris was making them do all sorts of crazy things (i.e. military crawl, sprints to the ocean, carry a teammate and dump him in the water relay)   People were literally stopping their beach walks to watch them.

So I hope Chris knows that I had so much fun (not to mention more "me time" than I've had in a long time) that I will officially be making this an annual outing!  I LOVED, LOVED getting to know the guys and literally watching them bond as a team.  I also now officially know that I have the coolest husband and absolute best coach in the world.  He literally kills them physically in practice, yet is involved in their inside jokes.  They are scared to death of him, yet can relate to him so easily.  He really is the teenage boy whisperer....I saw it in action! HA!  I'm pumped for the season...as I should be...after all...I'm kinda of an assistant coach now!  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails